Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A fun way to start the day

Last night I saw two new Geocaches pop up near my home coordinates. Unfortunately, they are located in a "sketchy" part of town, known for the homeless camps. Sweet and I had previously cleared out all of the existing Geocaches, but now there are two new one's calling my name..."Dude", "Dude"...

After e-mailing back and forth with a.k.a radar last night about the "campground" in this park, I vowed to go find these caches. I awoke with a mission and gathered my gear, dusted off my mountain bike, and headed to the caches.

As I approached Waverly Boulevard, I decided to take the "scenic" bike route under the street and around Waverly Lake. Passing previously found Geocache hiding locations, I pedaled and thought of my earlier adventures. On the northern side of Waverly Lake, I crossed Salem Avenue and continued along the bike path. This lessor known path that connects Salem Avenue and Waverly Drive NE, is a fun jaunt that passes under some train tracks and past blackberry bushes-yum.

As I arrived at the parking lot at Simpson Park, I noticed a truck sitting there. "Oh, great! Someone is already out there findting them." I continued down the hill into the park and noticed yet another vehicle parked. This one had a young woman in the driver's seat and her dog was barking. "What is going on?" I continued on as I knew this area well, and headed to the first cache, East of Bowman. You can read my logs on the cache pages. After logging that cache, I headed off to find the next one further down the trail. Just for Kicks was a kick. I had a great time finding this one as well.

I chatted with a.k.a. radar after logging these two caches, and we discussed setting up a CITO event for this park. On the surface, the park looks clean and safe. Upon further investigation; however, there are a lot of homeless people that live in Simpson Park. Although I am empathetic to their situation, ignoring it will not improve it, or make it go away. Time for SWAG to work with the City of Albany to help improve the look and safety of this greenway.

1 comment:

BoggyWoggy said...

Yea! Dude is blogging again! Must be he has some free time on his hands. I didn't realize there were many homeless in Albany...thought they were all living in the woods outlying our area and on the steps of the First Christian Church in Corvallis. (Just in case you didn't know, there's a story in the GT archives about them) Anyway, I'd never had any problems with homeless folks until my daughter began cross-country running, sometimes off the beaten path...sometimes after dark. She came home with some stories of interactions, one even involving her running away from them, as she was confronted by a couple of men near the Corvallis KMart. Now, I'm leary, even for myself, a grown woman!
It was so much fun caching with everyone last weekend! We're definitely going to do it again!!!!!